Sunday, July 28, 2013

DIY Lip Gloss / Lip Balm - What Not To Do

So it turns out that after going through my lip stuff collection, I realized that I had quite a few lip glosses/balms that I loved for a while and then somehow couldn’t bring myself to use for one reason or another.

One of these was a red lip tint from my local health food store that is a perfect dupe of Clinique’s Black Honey lip tint but at only a fraction of the price.



I loved the product but hated the tube – it’s super thin and there was something wrong with the twist up function which meant that whenever I accidentally twisted up too much, I had to push it back down into the tube…

Another was a almost clear orange Anna Sui lip gloss that I’d gotten as a Xmas gift. It was ok to use, but a little on the sticky end, so I tended not to use it too much as I prefer a little colour on my lips…


So given that it turned out I’d used up quite a bit of each, I had the brainwave of combining the two….

Big mistake…

I’d scraped the lip tint into a container and then simply unscrewed the cap on the lip gloss and proceeded to put both in the microwave on high for 2 min so that they would both be of a nicely runny consistency so that I could mix them together easily.

The mistake was that I’d factored all this in with the idea that it should have worked…all except the fact that the ‘foot’ of the lip gloss cap was actually a very thin plastic ‘spatula’…it melted clean off in the heat and there was a pungent smell of burnt plastic coming from the microwave…the applicator was now not much more than a short stick….

So…lesson learnt, and from now on I will make sure to check the containers before trying anything like this again…

No comments: