Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Treating Cold Sores and Lipstick


It is common knowledge that it is possible to catch cold sores from lipsticks and other lip stuff that has been used by someone who has had a cold core outbreak.

After consulting with a nurse, I also know now that once you have the cold sore, you cannot be reinfected ever again – kinda like chicken pox.

BUT there is one thing that I’ve learnt the hard way…although you cannot reinfect yourself by using a lipstick that you had used when you had a cold sore, using the lipstick again does cause you to have another outbreak. So now I have to throw out one of my favourite lipsticks.

This is not to say that you cannot wear lipstick when you have a cold sore though…

All you have to do, is apply your chosen lipstick with a Q-tip/cotton bud, but you cannot double dip the stick into the product.

NB. Re treatment for said cold sores, I tend to use a lot of the betadine products re health related issues as they seem to work quite well for me - both in the cream/gel formulation and dabbing the liquid onto the affected area using a cotton bud. In the course of the past week in trying to clear up my outbreak, I've found out (via a google search) that dabbing a little nail polish remover using a cotton bud n the afflicted area every hour or so, does in fact seem to work.

According to my bio chem buddy, the reasoning behind this is that acetone has the chemical ability to kill organic cells - which does explain why my fingers and nails feel so dry after I remove my nail polish.

No comments: